Our pets are a wonderful part of our extended family. They bring joy, comfort and companionship to our lives. They also bring the inevitable pet odors from accidents and general unavoidable animal body odor. Pets are happily here to stay so the quest to neutralize unwanted odors in the home is on.
Even the tidiest housekeeper can have pet smell problems. Dogs and cats spend a lot of time lying on the upholstery, floor and carpets and their body odors permeate into the fibers. Multiply that with the occasional accident and you have yourself a pet smell dilemma. Here are a few ideas to keep your home fresh and welcoming.
Most serious pet smells stem from accidents and your first measure is to attend to the stain immediately.
• Blot with paper towel and clean thoroughly with white vinegar and even a little mild dishwashing liquid. (One unique tip is to take the soiled paper towels and place them in the litter box or your dog’s outdoor traditional urination spot so your pets recall where they are supposed to go).
• After you have cleaned completely, blot again with clean paper towels.
• An enzyme cleaner is the only cleaning agent that actually eats the bad bacteria. For the best results use an enzyme spotter after you have rinsed the carpet, especially if the spot is not a fresh one.
Sometimes wicking can occur with pet urination. This occurs when the stain went deep down into the lower fibers of the carpet and has pooled at the base. You may have cleaned the stain thoroughly and suddenly hours or days later the stain magically reappears. To eliminate wicking:
• Place a thick towel over the stain.
• Weigh it down with some books or heavy items and leave it there overnight. This will absorb the remaining liquid. Clean the stain once again to make certain.
Whatever you do, do not use a steamer to clean pet stains and do not dry with a hair dryer or any form of heater as it will set the stain permanently. Do not use ammonia-based cleaners as this attracts your pet to make a repeat offense.
Room Deodorizing and Freshening
Here’s a list of easy ideas for freshening:
• Feel free to sprinkle baking soda on your carpet once a week. Let it sit and vacuum. Baking soda is a wonderful and inexpensive way to freshen a home.
Fragrant Carpet Freshener
• Mix 2 cups of borax (in the laundry section of your grocery store) and 25 drops pure essential oil, making sure the oil is evenly distributed throughout the borax. Shake this mixture liberally over your carpet and let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum.
• Activated charcoal, which is a form of carbon that has been “activated” to make it extremely porous, is great for absorbing a range of odors, especially those caused by pets. You can buy activated charcoal specifically designed for pet odors very inexpensively.
• Allow a pot of vinegar to simmer on your stove. The vinegar neutralizes, deodorizes and removes impurities from the air.
If you’ve tried your best and the odors still persist then call in the experts. We at High Quality Carpet Cleaning are here to keep you pets out of the doghouse. Call us at 732.400.5255 or fill out our online form.