Nothing looks less appealing than a stained carpet. Whether you have the latest wall to wall installation or you have an elderly Oriental rug, you need to keep those fibers clean. Check out these tips for keeping your carpet looking brand new. We all know that regular and careful vacuuming is the way to go, but there are some unique carpet cleaning tips below that you might not have heard of.
Before you vacuum your carpet, add a few spoonfuls of baking soda to the bag. Over time, the refuse in the vacuum cleaner bag can create a persistent, irritating odor. If you leave it unattended, this odor can even spread to your carpet. A few spoonfuls of baking soda will neutralize the odor, allowing you to vacuum without fear.
- Blot, don’t wipe! One of the worst things that you can do for a spill on your carpet is to wipe it. Wiping presses the stain into the fibers, and it can make the entire mess even more difficult to remove. Instead, find an absorbent paper towel and blot up the mess before you do anything else. This lets the cleaner get to the root of the mess, and it also helps you prevent the stain from getting any bigger.
- Baking soda is a good, natural removal agent for wet stains. If you have a fresh, wet stain, sprinkle it lightly with baking soda. It will bubble for a bit; this should not startle you. After it has sat on the carpet for three to four minutes, sponge up the whole mess. Baking soda loosens the grip of the stain on the carpet.
- If you are dealing with an old stain that has dried, more stringent measures are needed. Combine 3 tablespoons of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of a very mild detergent into 1 quart of warm water. Mix this solution thoroughly and then use a soft brush to apply it to the stain in question. Work the solution in thoroughly, as the stain may go beyond the surface of the fibers. After the solution is well worked in, blot it until the area is dry. You can repeat this as often as necessary until the stain is gone.
- Restore the nap of your carpet after cleaning using a clean white towel. Lay a plush white towel on top of your carpet after the stain is gone and gently “massage” the towel. This restores the fluffy look of the carpet and soon you will not even be able to tell that there was a problem there. If you do not have a clean white towel on hand, a clean fork can work just as well.
- Match the solution to the stain. For example, if you want to remove ink from your carpet, use hair spray or isopropyl alcohol. If you have spilled red wine on the carpet, you should dilute it with a small amount of white wine before cleaning it up with water. To remove any residual stain, cover the area with salt and then vacuum up the salt.
If you want to keep your carpet clean, remember that you should always consult the professionals. Check out what High Quality Carpet Cleaning can do for your carpet today!