Everyone loves their home carpeting, but they can be a source of contention for many homeowners. Carpets bring warmth and comfort to a home, and feel great on the feet, but in our modern lives, they’re just one more thing requiring maintenance and attention.
Most home owners vacuum their carpets once or twice a month and bring in a professional once or twice a year for maintenance cleaning. This isn’t always enough to maintain and restore that fresh feeling. If you’d like to maintain a fresh and clean looking carpet, there are a few simple and easy-to-execute ideas that will ensure its longevity.
• Remove your shoes at the door. Removing shoes insures that outside dirt is not tracked in on the carpet. If this doesn’t appeal, use a heavy duty door mat at the entry and make sure feet are thoroughly wiped before entering the home. Slippers at the door are an idea as well.
• To prevent dirt from accumulating on your carpet, vacuum as regularly as possible – once a week is great. You may also want to try a robotic vacuum cleaner for the added convenience; they are good fun.
• Spot clean a spill or stain immediately. The longer you leave a stain, the more likely it is to become permanent.
• Use a mild dish soap or shampoo to spot clean rather than a chemical solution, which is harsh on your carpet. Club soda and white vinegar are tried and true cleaning solutions and they really work.
• Never rub a stain forcefully because this causes it to spread and it weakens carpet fibers, hastening wear.
• If a stain reappears, it is because of something called wicking. Wicking is what happens when liquid pools at the base of the carpet. You may have believed you cleaned that stain, but in reality, you’ve only cleaned the surface and soon the liquid will make its way up to through the fibers to the surface again. To prevent this, cover the stain with a thick white towel and weigh it down with something heavy for absorption. Leave it in place for twenty-four hours, or at least overnight, and then clean as usual.
• Never use heat, such as a hair dryer or iron, to dry a spill as this will seal the stain in your carpet.
• Every six months or so, give your carpets a good steam cleaning. This will help it to look fresh and remove any grit or other debris that may be imbedded in it. Steamers can be rented at just about any supermarket or hardware store. You can also choose to call in an expert.
• If you do use a chemical spot cleaner, test it in a hidden area such as in a closet or under furniture to avoid unwanted reactions with the carpeting.
• To keep your carpet smelling fresh, sprinkle baking soda or a homemade carpet freshener on your rug every few weeks before you vacuum. This will remove lingering smells caused by things like pets or cigarettes from your carpet.
Maintaining a carpet is fairly easy and worth it to keep your home fresh and welcoming. As long as you run a vacuum frequently and spot clean as necessary, your carpet will last for a very long time.
A clean home with a fresh atmosphere makes all the difference. For difficult or thorough carpet cleaning call in the experts. At High Quality Carpet Cleaning, we are always ready to assist you clean and maintain your carpets. Contact us through our online form, which can be found here: http://www.highqualitycarpet.com/contact, or call us at 732.400.5255.